Summer Heat Safety for Kids
Posted on Jun 19, 2015
With the summer heat and humidity well under way here in central Florida, it’s important to keep your kids safe from heat-related illness. The heat isn’t just uncomfortable; it can be dangerous and even deadly. Children are more susceptible to temperature extremes, since they can't regulate their body temperature as well as adults. This summer, keep your kids safe by learning to recognize and treat the signs of heat-related illnesses- and prevent it in the first place by bringing them to Monkey Joe's Winter Park, your indoor playground for active fun in any weather.
The following heat safety information can help you and your kids have a safe and fun summer:
Recognize the signs of heat-related illness
- Heat cramps- These painful cramps can occur in the limbs and abdomen.
- Heat syncope- Symptoms include faintness, dizziness, headache, nausea, or vomiting.
- Heat exhaustion- Symptoms include cool, pale skin, chills, nausea, and headache.
- Heat stroke- This can cause a life-threatening emergency. Signs include hot and dry skin, disorientation, and loss of consciousness.
Know how to treat heat-related illness
- Heat cramps, heat syncope, and heat exhaustion- Cool your child quickly by moving him or her to a shady or air-conditioned spot. Apply cold towels, and give them water to drink. If necessary, medical professionals can administer fluids intravenously.
- Heat stroke- Call 911 immediately, and while you wait for emergency personnel, try the methods listed above.
Prevent heat-related illness
- Be more active in the mornings- Plan sports or any kind of outdoor, strenuous activity for mornings, when it’s not as hot or humid.
- Watch their fluid intake- Make sure children take frequent water breaks. If you’re going to be outside, bring water or a sports drink along with you.
- Choose a cool spot to play- Find indoor activities to do with your kids during the hottest part of the day. At Monkey Joe’s Winter Park, they can get active and stay entertained in our climate-controlled indoor playground!
If you have questions about our indoor party and play center, please don't hesitate to contact us. Here's to a summer to remember in Winter Park!
Connect with us!
It's quick and easy
With proof of Florida residency, pay for one admission and get a second admission of equal or lesser value FREE!
*Not valid with any other offer or for groups. Max of 3 entries or 6 children.
Complete your waiver online before your visit and save time!
Fill out your waiver now
Sign up for
Receive Special Promotions
Click here to
get one today