Are Your Kids Couch Potatoes?
Posted on May 09, 2017
Summer means plenty of time to play, explore, and have a blast. It also gives kids more time to form bad habits. Are your kids becoming couch potatoes? Half of parents say their kids play more video games, watch more TV, and don’t play outside during the summer. But how do you know when kids have taken relaxation too far?
How Much Couch Time Is Too Much?
A lack of structure may seem like no big deal, but kids who are bored snack more, play less, and form bad habits. Did you know that the average child (5-10):
- Spends 5 hours a day watching TV or movies
- Spends 3 hours each day on the internet or playing video games
- Only spends 4-7 minutes a day in unstructured playtime outside
- Kids spend 6 to 6 ½ hours every day in front of a screen
And that number only grows as they do! Time spent in front of a screen is time kids could be playing, socializing, or learning something new. But what can parents do?
Healthy Summer Playtime for Kids
We know that it’s hard to get the kids outside, especially when they’re with a babysitter during the day. Here are some of our favorite ways for kids to get active:
- Going for a hike or a walk in the park
- Playing social games with other neighborhood kids (Hide and Seek can be played indoors or outside)
- Swimming at the local pool
- Going to an indoor inflatables playground to climb, bounce, and swing the day away
Get off the couch and jump into summer fun at Monkey Joe’s Pointe Orlando.
Connect with us!
It's quick and easy
We gladly accept walk ins for our unlimited play all day every day!
Complete your waiver online before your visit and save time!
Fill out your waiver now
Sign up for
Receive Special Promotions
Click here to
get one today